In Sanskrit, “bhujanga” means serpent or snake and “asana” means pose; hence the English, cobra pose. This invigorating backbend was named such because Bhujangasana reflects the posture of a cobra that has its hood raised. If you would like to practice this pose with the aid a qualified yoga instructor, click here to check out the yoga class schedule for each of our centers, located in Syracuse, Rochester and Albany.
Bhujangasana is easy to learn. Lie down on your belly and place your face in such a manner that your chin touches the ground. Place your hands close to your body with your palms touching the ground. Keep your legs straight and press your palms firmly against the floor. As you inhale, straighten your arms and lift up your chest, following your upper back. Keep your hips steady and remain in this position for 15-20 seconds and then release.
Benefits of Cobra Pose:
- Stretches muscles in the shoulders, chest and abdominals
- Decreases stiffness of the lower back
- Strengthens the arms and shoulders
- Increases flexibility
- Improves menstrual irregularities
- Elevates mood
- Firms and tones the buttocks
- Invigorates the heart
- Stimulates organs in the abdomen, like the kidneys
- Relieves stress and fatigue
- Opens the chest and helps to clear the passages of the heart and lungs
- Improves circulation of blood and oxygen, especially throughout the spinal and pelvic regions
- Improves digestion
- Strengthens the spine
- Soothes sciatica
- Helps to ease symptoms of asthma
Reduces belly fat: Even though we claim that we practise yoga for a perfect living, all beauty freaks secretly admire the beauty benefits of yoga. Snake pose in yoga is considered to be one of the best asanas for getting a flat belly. Bhujangasana benefits are extended to your beauty because of the stretching of the abdominal muscles.
Improves circulation: Good blood circulation is the primary requirement to stay energetic and active. One of the major Bhujangasana benefits is that it helps in improving blood circulation. Once you have proper blood circulation, your body cells will be supplied with enough nutrients and oxygen. Improved blood circulation will also help in keeping the hormone balance.