Vajrasana Thunderbolt pose
The Vajra or thunderbolt is said to be the weapon of Indra (The God of Rain ). Vajrayana is highly considered as a meditation posture in many cultures throughout the world . Vajra is also a major nadi in our body which is directly connected with the genital urinary system, which regulates the sexual energy in the body.
Steps how to do Vajrasana Thunderbolt pose :
1.Kneel down to your knees , stretching your lower legs backward and keeping them together. Your big toes and heels should be together. People with stiff ankles can use a blanket under their ankles to support the asana
2.Now gently rest your buttocks and upper trunk on your heels and your thighs on your calf muscles.
3.Now place your hands on your knees, and set your gaze in front with your head straight.
4.Now pay attention to your breathing. Concentrate on your breathe and carefully observe as you inhale and exhale.
5.You can also close your eyes to concentrate on your breathing and to calm your mind.
Duration :A few minutes daily is enough to loosen up the legs . If any strain is experienced ,just release the pose . Practice Vajrasana directly after meals as it helps in digestion of the food.
Precautions And Contraindications Of Vajrasana Thunderbolt pose
- This asana is extremely safe. However, these are a few things you should keep in mind when you start practicing this asana.
- Avoid this asana if you have a knee problem or have any surgery or injury sin your knees recently.
- Pregnant women should try this asana with their knees slightly open so that the pressure doesn’t go to their abdomen.
- Do not try to overarch your lumbar spine to sit erect .
Beginner’s Tips Of Vajrasana Thunderbolt pose
If you are a beginner, when you do this posture ,it is likely that your legs might begin to pain in no time. If it happens just release the pose and stretch your legs forward and Give your ankles, knees, and calf muscles a gentle massage . In time, with practice, you will be able to hold this asana comfortably for a longer duration.
If you are a beginner you should work slowly and gradually on bettering the strength of the muscles in the lower back before you try to go deeper into this pose or increasing the duration.
Benefits Of Benefits Of Vajrasana Thunderbolt pose
- These are the benefits of the Vajrasana.
- This asana improvies your digestion and with regular practice, it eliminates constipation.
- Better digestion prevents ulcers and acidity.
- This asana strengthens the back and relieves the people suffering from lower back problems and sciatica.
- This asana strengthens the pelvic muscles too.
- It helps in labor pains and also reduces menstrual cramps.
- The Science Behind Vajrasana
- The Vajrasana is a steady, firm pose. It is a meditative pose, but sitting in this pose can be quite difficult for the beginners . One has to bear the pain and try to calm the mind if you want to master this pose.The Vajrasana regulates the blood circulation in the lower pelvic part .
- It is a preventative measure against hernia and also helps to relieve piles . It reduces the flow of blood to the genitals and massages the nerve fibres which feed them ,making it useful in dilated veins of the testicles and hydrocele in men.
- It helps in menstural disorders ,increasing the efficiency of the entire digestive system,relieving stomach ailments such as hyperacidity and peptic ulser.
- Vajrasana is a very important meditation posture for the spine as it becomes upright and straight with no effort. It is the best asana for people suffering from sciatica.
Vajrasana Thunderbolt pose Precautions:
- One should not practice vajrasana and other static asanas in this series until the ankles and knees are sufficiently flexible. Vajrasana is not recommended for those suffering from osteoarthritis ,or in pregnancy when extra weight can overload the knee joints.