USTRASANA – CAMEL POSE
Camel Pose is the posture that most people experience intense bodily reactions such as fear/anxiety, dizziness or nausea. The Sanskrit name Ustrasana is a combination of ‘ustra’ (meaning Camel) and ‘asana’ (meaning Posture). The benefits of this posture are enormous and just being present and conscious of these intense feelings is half the battle. It’s all about relaxing in the posture and letting yourself open up to all these natural feelings, just be there, and move through you! This yogasana is one another yogasana from a series of bending and stretching yoga poses. It includes backward bend of the body while in sitting position. It is an advanced yogasana which has several health benefits.
Steps to perform Camel Pose – Ustrasana
1. Come to your knees and sit back on your heels.Place your palms together in front of your heart, thumbs pressed softly on yourchest enough to feel your heartbeat. Engage your core, elongate your spine,lift your chest and relax your shoulders. Direct focus on your breath. Inhaledeeply and pause, then exhale slowly and pause before repeating. Breatheconsciously like this 10 times.
2. Rest on your knees and shins, bringing your hipsover your knees. Make sure your knees and toes are a hips’ width apart. Placeyour palms on your lower back with fingers pointing up. Gently draw your sacrumdown, sucking in your abdomen to support the lower back. Keep your chin intoward your chest and gradually lean back, actively pressing your hips forward.Hug your shoulder blades toward each other. This will organically lift yourchest and relax your shoulders, releasing pressure off the neck. Don’t let yourmind wander; train your attention to be focused on your breath and body.
3. Stay where you are, or reach for your heels withyour hands. You may prefer tucking your toes to reach the heels easier or keepthe top of your feet pressing the floor. If it’s comfortable for your neck,relax your head back. Hold for four to eight breaths, from 30 seconds to aminute.
4. To come out of the pose, release your hands one ata time and place on your lower back. Slowly lift up from your sternum usingyour thigh muscles, head and shoulders coming up last. Sit on your heels. Restin a child’s pose for 10 breaths.
Health Benefits of Camel Pose – Ustrasana
- Compresses spine, relieving backproblems
- Opens rib cage, lungs and digestivesystem
- Stimulates the nervous system
- Great for the lungs and manybronchial problems
- Strengthens back and shouldermuscles
- Improves flexion of the neck
- Stretches the throat
- Flushes blood through the kidneys
- Helps eliminate toxins
- Opens the entire front of yourbody.
- Stimulates the respiratory,circulatory, nervous and endocrine systems.
- Can provide an intense mobilizationof your digestive system, especially the esophagus, and tones the kidneys.