information about vajradanti – Barleria prionitis
- Botanical name: Barleria prionitis
- Sanskrit name: Kurantaka, Koranda, Kerandaka, Sahachara, Sahacharah, Saireyaka, Ananta, Bana, Pitapushpaka, Pitasaireyaka, Pura, Udyanapaki, Vira
- Common name: Vajradanti, Katsareya (Hindi)
- Family: Acanthaceae
- Native region and geographical distribution: South-East Asia, parts of China and Africa
Parts used: Leaf, root, bark, flower
- Properties: Said to pacify Kapha and Vata “doshas”. vajar which means diamond and danti which roughly translates to teeth. It literally means a herb that makes the teeth as strong as diamonds.
- Assamese: Shinti
- Bengali: Kantajati
- Gujrati: Kanta-Saerio, Kantasalio, Kanta Shelio
- Hindi: Sahachara
- Kannada: Sahachara, Mullu gorate, Mullu gorante, Haladi gorate
- Kutch: Vajra daul
- Malayalam: Kirimkurunji, Karim Kurunni, Chemmulli, Shemmulli, Manjakanakambaram
- Marathi: Koranta, Koranti, Piwala Koranta, Koreta
- Oriya: Dasakeranda
- Punjabi: Sahacar
- Siddha: Chemmulli
- Tamil: Sammulli, Shemmuli, Varamuli
- Telugu: Mulu Gorinta Chettu, Muligoranta
- Unani: Katsaraiya, Piyabaasa
- Urdu: Pila Bansa, Piya Bansa
- English: Barleria, Barleria cristata L. is known as Jhinti, Kurabaka, Sahachara, Sahacharah, Crested purple nail dye, Philippine violet)
- German: Stachelschweinblume
- Myanmar: Leik – Su – Shwe
- Philippines: Kukong Manok
- Spain: Espinosa Amarilla
- Sweden: Orange Kantax
Health Benefits of Vajradanti – Barleria prionitis
Oral Health Benefits of Vajradanti
Barleria prionitis has several oral health benefits. As the name Vajradanti (diamond-shaped teeth) suggests, a paste made from its flower is used to strengthen teeth.
- Anticatarrhal: Remove excess mucus from the body.
- Antidontalgic: Gives relief in toothache.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation by acting on body mechanisms.
- Antirheumatic: Alleviating or preventing rheumatism.
- Antiseptic: Capable of preventing infection by inhibiting the growth of infectious agents.
- Appetizer: Improves appetite.
- Astringents: Constrict tissues; styptic.
- Cholagogue: Promotes the discharge of bile from the system, purging it downward.
- Diaphoretic: Promote sweating.
- Diuretic: Promoting excretion of urine/agent that increases the amount of urine excreted.
- Emollient: Soothing and softening effect on the skin or an irritated internal surface.
- Expectorant: Promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages, used to treat coughs.
- Thermogenic: Heating