Vyaghrasana (pronounced vyAa-gHrAa-suh-nuh) is the right choice among yoga poses to methodically challenge yourself and attain flawless balance. It plays a significant role in opening up your chest, shoulders, hips, and thighs. Although the variation of clasping your ankle with your hand could be a task by itself, this posture could considerably tone your spinal cords and back muscles. Your sense of balance will undergo a phase-shift after mastering this asana.
Steps to perform Vyaghrasana (Tiger pose)
- Begin with the Table Pose
- Gently ease into Marjaryasana or the Cat pose
- Relax your breathing and ease your body
- As you proceed to arch your back, inhale and straighten your right leg behind you.
- Stretching your leg up and over, bend your right knee.
- Look up to the sky and bring your toes as close as you can towards the back of your head.
- Hold your breath and stay in this position for a few seconds.
- Slowly straighten your right leg.
- Bend your knee and slowly swing your right leg under your belly.
- Arch your back upwards as you bend your head dow.
- Exhale deeply and bring your knee towards your nose.
- Make sure your right foot does not touch the floor.
- Press your thigh against your chest.
- Hold this posture and your breath for a few seconds.
- Straighten and stretch your right foot backwards the leg. Bend your knee and repeat the slow swinging movements.
- Return to marjaryasana and relax your breath and ease your body.
- Repeat with the left leg.
Health benefits of Vyaghrasana (Tiger pose)
- Exercises and strengthens the back as you bend it alternatively in both directions
- Tones the nerves in your spinal cord
- Alleviates sciatica by relaxing the sciatic nerves
- Loosens your leg and hip joints
- Tones the female reproductive organs and is especially beneficial for post childbirth and women with many children
- Stretches your abdominal muscles
- Keeps your digestive system in check
- Induces proper and great metabolism
- Stimulates rich blood circulation
- Responsible for weight loss in your hips and thighs